Major reforms to the local government sector have been released for consultation. The reforms represent the largest change to local government in more than 25 years and are based on findings of a number of reports released in recent years.
The reforms aim to address issues sooner, improve transparency and accountability and efficiency of local government within WA.
The package is based on six major themes:
- Earlier intervention, effective regulation and stronger penalties
- Reducing red tape, increasing consistency and simplicity
- Greater transparency and accountability
- Stronger local democracy and community engagement
- Clear roles and responsibilities
- Improved financial management and reporting.
The consultation period is open for feedback on the implementation of the reforms.