The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has received funding over 4 years through the federal budget to improve regional labour market statistics and update the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO).
ANZSCO will be updated to ensure the future labour market is accurately reflected in how the ABS classifies occupations and labour market statistics.
Funding from the federal budget will also go to five key ABS projects including:
- A monthly indicator of wages and salaries, making use of the Australian Taxation Office Single Touch Payroll data, due for release later this year as part of the Big Data Timely Insights program.
- The joint delivery of the National Disability Data Asset with the of Australian Institute of Health and Welfare to bring together datasets from across the federal, state and territory governments to better understand the lives of people with disability.
- Real time support to Emergency Management Australia and the National Recovery and Resilience Agency, through the Australian Climate Services. to ensure data is available to understand the impact of natural disasters on people and businesses.
- Improvements for small and medium businesses to report data to the ABS through better use of software that businesses already use.
- Producing specialised, satellite economic accounts looking at the defence industry and transport sector.